Des Rangila

I'm at work, listening to music on shuffle and "Piano Man" ended only to be followed by the annoying "Des Rangila" song from Fanaa, sung by Kavita Krishnamurthy in true shrill form. As she goes on about how our des is so wonderful & colourful and blah blah blah... I roll my eyes and crib internally about how the lyrics completely gloss over all the umpteen problems that India faces. I continue with my work only vaguely aware of the song going on in the background.
Then, towards the end of the song there is an instrumental segue into the "Jaya He" part of the Indian national anthem and out of nowhere my heart wells up and I feel all nostalgic and terribly home sick and want to rush back home on the first available flight. To that beautiful multi-hued, blue skied land with lush green fields and deep red shades of love. That orange sunshiny colorful country that I will always call "home".

4 Comments:

  1. Shammi said...
    I know exactly, EXACTLY what you're saying in this post! I have no illusions about India (and most Indians abroad) but for some reason something about the national anthem always touches a chord in me when I hear it. I'm repeating myself, but I so understand what you're saying...
    desi witch said...
    Yeah! For all our cynicism it's funny how a piece of music can melt our hearts.
    Me said...
    I HEAR you on this. Completely. I dislike overtly unsubtle patriotism but living in the west, sometimes a song, a quote or something can just stop me and make me cry for home.
    This is when I think of what nehru said
    `I have become a queer mixture of the East and the West. Out of place everywhere, at home nowhere.... but India clings to me, as she does to all her children, in innumerable ways...
    Anonymous said...
    oooh me. that is good. its making me crave momos in delhi haat.

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.